Changes within Microsoft Licensing that could affect you!
Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2016 and Microsoft Office 365 are evolving rapidly.
Although the look and feel has changed the core operations remain the same with enhancements geared toward cloud computing and touch screen ease of use.
As a reseller of Microsoft Products we are bound by the license agreements and can only provide the current version when being purchased through the normal channels. The only variation to this is that there are licensing options available with downgrade rights but these are expensive.
If you now purchase a new PC and Office Suite, it is likely to come with the latest versions, Microsoft Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016. Both Windows 10 and Office 2016 are improvements on the preceding systems, however there are considerations that you need to be aware of to avoid any potential impact to your business.
- Windows 10 may not interact with business critical software, i.e. bespoke databases or old versions of “off the shelf” products such as Sage.
- Old versions of software may work but their support services may insist on an upgrade.
- Windows 10 may not be supported by your current version of Anti-Virus software.
- Printer and scanner hardware and other peripheral hardware may not be compatible.
It will be necessary to check with the 3rd Party vendors for compatibility of your current software and hardware.
Microsoft Office 2016
- Office 2016 will not work with in house Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 or previous versions
This means that should you purchase a new PC with Office 2016, you will not be able to access your email via Outlook. This is part of Microsoft’s 2 revision support policy, where only the current and previous revision of software are supported.
Microsoft Office 365 Plan 1 (Exchange Online)
- Over the coming weeks all of Microsoft’s Online Exchange Servers will be upgraded to Exchange 2016. If you currently use Office 2007 or a previous version, it is likely that you will not be able to connect to your online mailbox with Outlook.
- An upgrade to Office 2016 will be required on all PC’s running 2007 and earlier.
As a service provider we are keen to avoid any impact this could have on your day to day business, should any of the above factors concern you or if you have any questions you can contact us by filling out our online contact form or by calling us on 01444 238070 where our friendly team will be more than happy to assist you with your enquiry.